Tuesday, September 9, 2014

TED Talks

The first video I watched was Ziyah Gafic Everday objects, tragic histories. In the video Ziyah did a very good job speaking, he did not rush his sentences or use fillers such as like and umm. Even with him not having english as his first language he pronounced everything so I could easily understand him. He also did not move around too much or get caught standing completely still, he made simple hand gestures that were not distracting and was confident while speaking. I want to also be confident in my shark tank proposal and this video give me a perfect example. I believe going over the material to students in my dorm or my roommate will help me sound confident in front of the class, also knowing a lot about my product will help as well because I will not be worried about someone asking me a question I cannot answer. 

Now most of the speakers who do TED talks have a lot of experience public speaking so finding someone who I could critique was not easy. But luckily I found Kitra Cahana and her talk a glimpse of life on the road. Right off the bat I noticed that Kitra was using a monotone voice which made me lose focus on what she was saying immediately. She did not really use this part of speaking to her advantage, and if I didn't need to post a bad video a would not have finished the video at all. She did not grab my attention but instead made me want to take a nap. This video made me realize how important the sound of your voice is while speaking, and during my shark tank proposal I am going to try to keep a lively voice while talking so no one wishes they could skip over me like I wished I could this video.  

No comments:

Post a Comment